Friday, October 11, 2019

BIRD NEWS:521



I then stopped at the waterfall exhibit. You can see here the real specimen with its info board - and the one on the left of the picture with the blue tag is a male!



Here are a pair of merganzers! Here are some young merganzers - who were hiding when I tried to photograph them on my last visit.



TWO Blacknecked swans! On my last 3-4 visits, there has been one lonesome swan calling sadly....but now there are two! I was mentioning this to the staff member when he updated me on the swans and a few other birds. This pair are both new, as the other original male was no longer here. So, now we have 2 Bewick, 2 Trumpeter, and 2 blacknecked swans again - all relatively recent arrivals. It will therefore be a few more years before they have young - but....hopefully I will get to know them better by then.



Nearby was a line of dozing ducks.

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy about the new pair of Blacknecked Swans, but now I wonder where the lonely male went? Did he buy a motorcycle and hit the road to come to terms with his loneliness or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably cried til he died - :( or maybe they took him some place where lonely old swans swan around together.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some animals do die of sadness when their mate dies, including people....

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes - and swans generally mate for life.....so its quite possible.

    ReplyDelete