Thursday, June 9, 2016

BIRD NEWS:173



...a juvenile yellowhammer! I have never seen one of these birds in my life before, let alone in my very own back yard! I was delighted to find it stayed put long enough for me to catch a few photos... Well, OK maybe more than 'a few'....



The yellowhammer is from the finch family and its fancy name is Emberiza citrenella. It is most familiar in countryside hedgerows - not exactly back yards, according to one of my three bird guides.



The adult plumage is a brighter yellow in the male and more striated in the female, but the juvenile male usually resembles a sparrow with a yellow head, which was the first thing I thought of when I spotted the bird. They apparently nest from May through July - so for this to be a young bird, they must have started early in 2016 - or changed nesting season since the book was written back in the 1970's.


My second bird identification book is from the 1980's and says May-June. It therefore appears that the nesting season may have become shorter, or started earlier in the 1975-1985 era.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Yellowhammer. I have heard of them. I wonder if they will become regular visitors or permanent residents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i saw this juvenile twice... but then no more. It knows where there is food if it wants some though...

    ReplyDelete