Tuesday, June 14, 2016

BIRD NEWS:177


Here we see Ditty resting peacefully in the tree. I then took my leave of the premises and after trotting down the village to fetch lunch for a friend from the chippy, took the #9 to Worthing.

Regular readers may wonder whether my next few pictures will be pigeons or not... I did see a few, but I am afraid it was mostly seagulls this trip. The streets were busy and pigeons dashing in and out of shoppers and fencied up restricted mall access for refurbishment, meant lack of photo opportunities.


Here is a gull on a building top...and a gull on the beach...and two gulls on the beach, though.


and there are a LOT of gulls on the beach and finally ONE pigeon!!!! & I did get a good shot of this young gull preening before leaving town laden with shopping.



Back home the yard was filled with the sound of hungry baby sparrows and starlings....screaming for food!

I did almost get a shot or two of Beatie, but she flew away whilst I reached for my camera. She was perched upon a branch eating a peanut. I have never seen a blue-tit eat a nut before. I was finally able to observe what happens after they snatch one from the feeder and fly away, even if I could not capture it on camera. A blue-tit perches on a branch but also uses its feet to hold the nut - between the foot and branch - while pecking at it with their beak - fascinating.

2 comments:

  1. That is indeed fascinating. Birds can be very dexterous with their feet and beaks.

    Those are nice beach shots, especially the one of the lone gull with the cool green ocean in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the jay is also very acrobatic...

    ReplyDelete