Saturday, May 21, 2016

BIRD NEWS:157



Along with the dozing geese, the ducks were enjoying the sunny day. It took me less than 30 minutes to circle the lake and arrive at the entry area, and my plan today was to walk onwards further up the road to the Black Rabbit - a pub. I was hoping it might open at 10.30 or 11am for coffees, if not cider. As I walked along the road towards the pub, I spotted this lil lady in the shrubbery -


- a female pheasant. Maybe not as bright and colorful as the male pheasants I have photographed previously, but nonetheless worthy of a few camera shots.



Next up, I approached the pub. I recalled having walked here once - maybe twice - in my childhood/early teens, on day excursions with my parents, so knew it could not be too far along the road past the lake. What should I spot as I arrived? Unidentifiable 'big black birds'... Crows, rooks, ravens....I do NOT know!







4 comments:

  1. The Black Rabbit. That's a cool name for a pub.

    Maybe those unidentifiable black birds are strange visitors from another planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no - they are ravens, rooks, or crows...but i simply cannot identify which species exactly... I have 3 bird id books and none of them give enough info for me to tell those 3 species apart - unless they are actually nesting or flying above me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe there's a local bird society or something who knows what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOT SURE....YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TELL BY TRHINGS L;IKE FLIGHT AND NESTING PLACES...BUT THESE BIRDS ARE NOT FLYING, ETC.

    ReplyDelete