Monday, May 2, 2016

BIRD NEWS:148


One last picture of Ditty on the sill before going on to answer the question in my last post. Pidge was happily sitting in the tree when PLONK!


Suddenly, a jackdaw landed beside him. Jackdaws do not eat adult wood pigeons, but Pidge still did not look too happy at the prospect of sharing his favored branch with this huge black bird. After a while, they both flew onwards - the jackdaw towards the bird table below and Pidge off into another yard. Next, along came Ditty again.



One afternoon as I was sitting on my computer, I spotted a pair of wood pigeon awaiting a feed, put out some seed and watched them munching seed on the sill. A few moments later, there was a bit of a commotion - luckily the story happened while my camera was still in hand from trying to take shot of the pair eating...



Along fluttered another hungry wood pigeon. The two men had a staring battle, whilst the female safely flew to the tree, having had half its fill at any rate. OOPS - it lost it fixed stare by peeping in at me!


The story continues in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, a jackdaw. Jackdaws don't eat adult wood pigeons-- but they eat baby wood pigeons? No wonder Pidge was uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if Pidge had young at the mo, yes, but...

    ReplyDelete